Quality Matters is a national benchmark for online courses. The presenters took courses from Quality Matters to be certified as peer reviewers of online classes using QM Basic.
Development of the Rubric
Using the research and structure of other rubrics to create a standardized rubric. This has been amended 9 times based on feedback from experienced online faculty. This consistency is helpful for students as well as teachers.
The purpose of this is to establish a college0-wide quality standard for online classes and a tool for course evaluation. To achieve a e-learning qualtiy seal from wake tech for your online course, all essential standards and 90% of recommended standards must be met. This may be easier for teachers than receiving the training.
EPIC certification is roughly 30 hours, but many teachers have already taken. You might be able to take only 2/3rds of the training or you might put a course on the chopping block for meeting the standards of the course. This tool can also be used to gain insight into teacher needs and recommended remediation. Some courses may benefit from looking at the current rubric and adjusting their courses accordingly. Feedback will be heavily important in the establishment of success. Large courses with high enrollment will begin, and many will begin in Spring 2015.
if you’re really interested, look at the materials at epic.waketech.edu
- course overview and introduction
- intro to course?
- how get started
- syllabus include course materials
- college and course policies
- faculty bio and contact info
- student support
- campus / course resources (should be present and in development)
- course nav and tech
- nav is logical, clear, consistent, uncomplicated and efficient
- cannot access materials
- course free of errors typo grammar broken links
- mesurement and assessment strategies
- lesson/week/unit expectations are clearly stated with due dates
- assessments are suitable for an online class and utilized to measure SLOs
- rubrics are provided for all substantive graded assignments
- rubrics are easy to understand
- rubrics are available to students
- can be excel or blackboard-integrated rubrics
- rubrics are clearly explained, or given adequate feedback
- gradebook is maintained in blackboard: weighted grades are incredibly important
- SLOs listed at course and module/unit.week
- accurate and clearly stated and measurable
- slo written for a student perspective and suitable for course level
- materials are sufficiently comprehensive to achieve SLOs for the course
- copyright is adhered to
- materials is current
- Online course fosters meaningful interaction between students and faculty
- faculty presence is evident in course
- use of interactive tools
Going over a 16,10,8-week courses isn’t a fast process. It will take time.Will a failure indicate the need for education? minor adjustments may be a pass with adjustments, large sections will include the optional recommendation for remediation. Most courses should have (would certainly benefit from) departmental review and oversite before submitted.
Certified online instructor Program
All teachers teaching online courses will need to be certified by 2017.
Certification by Review
- instructors submit past courses for review
- coi-review/rubric team is developed.
- Courses will be reviewed by a team of 3 expereienced online faculty acting as peer reviewer.
- One member of the team to be an SME (subject matter development)
2015-2016 cohort of faculty starts
2016-2017 final cohorts run
Faculty outcomes: Organize to LMS template, design online courses to wake tech quality standards
Download our current rubric for review