At 9:00am On 11/9/16 I attended It’s Good for You AND You’ll Like It: Dispensing Technology Knowledge to Overwhelmed Students by Cynthia Bowers at the 2016 USCA NDLW Virtual Conference.
It’s Good for You AND You’ll Like It: Dispensing Technology Knowledge to Overwhelmed Students
Performing academic work in the midst of personal stress connects subsets of students as a demographic entity. For the purpose of this presentation, students will be referred to as student breadwinners (rather than non-traditional students). These are students who are financial caretakers for themselves and others. These students are often distracted by personal thoughts and concerns, making them oblivious to instructions that are necessary for accessing and using required technology for completion of class assignments.
The session topics included
- the importance of the relationship between the instructor and the technology support team;
- Strategies for alerting faculty to the availability of services from our learning technology specialists;
- Methods for maintaining excellent customer service when interacting with students and faculty;
- Effective technology tools for keeping student breadwinners focused on class work;
- Language that reduces student anxiety when helping students use learning technologies, such as Blackboard and Respondus LockDown Browser.